Friday 19 November 2010

Maternal Health Nurse visit #6 - 4 months

Just came back from my 6th visit to the Maternal Health Nurse. I got so many compliments from nurse Elaine, that I can not stop blushing and Mum was so proud.
I had 2 injections, one in each leg, and the rotavirus, which is just given into my mouth with a little plastic syringe thing. I complained a little bit during the injections, but no tears at all. Nurse Elaine explained to Mum that the sounds I was making was only complaining, so technically although I protested a bit, it was no crying. I am still a big boy, who can handle injections!


I was weighed in at 6.780 kg and 63.5 centimeters and a head circumference of 40.7 centimeters. My growth has slowed down a bit last month after my big growth spurt in the first 3 months, where I gained 300 grams each week. I am currently on the 50th percentile for length and weight if you compare me to other 4 month old babies.


Nurse Elaine also explained to Mum that I will be starting solids soon (have no idea what that is yet, but it sounds delicious) and Mum should check for ready signs. Elaine explained that if Mum feels I am ready, she can start trying stuff on me. Can't wait, it sounds so mysterious, but it must be good because all the grown up people do solids.


I will then first start on rice cereal mixed with breast milk and then vegetables and fruity things and by 6 months I can even try meat, only little tiny bits, because I will still be drinking breast milk as well.
Oh my god, now I have to start showing ready signs, have no clue what that is, but I think I have not done any ready signs yet, so have to continue my practice to make sure Mum understands that I am soon ready for solids.


Our next appointment is at 6 months when we come back from Europe in January and then I will get all those injections again. Now time for sleep, as those injections make you drowsy and more thirsty as well.