Saturday 17 July 2010

Jaundice and phototherapy

This morning I received my Hepatitis B vaccination and weighed in at 2500 grams. My feeds were increased to 40 mls and they also collected some blood for jaundice testing. I was allowed to stay in Mums and Dads room from 8am until 1pm.

At 1pm, Fiona the Special Care Nurse comes into our room with some bad news....Little Brett has jaundice...(too much Billirubin in the blood) and needs phototherapy for potentially 48h.
Mum and Dad were pretty upset, we still had a few moments to say goodbye and then they have to bring me back at 1 pm so they can put me under the phototherapy lights. Mum was crying as she saw me lying there, with no clothes, only a nappy, and unable to hold me. 

She was able to touch me through the holes on the side, but according to Mum, that is not the same as cuddling. I actually thought I was looking pretty good: First sunglasses, headband, working on my tan already.... The works!!!!


One positive thing is that Mum and Dad become very handy in changing nappies in very difficult angles, as they still have to change my nappy via these holes in the hot box.
Another good thing, I made a really nice friend: little Charlie who also had to undergo phototherapy at the same time (and his parents Mel and Jason).